This year we are once again supporting the Wuxun Education Foundation, in recognition of their outstanding efforts.
Wuxun Education Foundation
Wuxun Education Foundation is a Government audited Foundation based in Shandong. Wuxun is a famous educator like Confucious from the region. The Foundation is dedicated to improving opportunities for rural children to receive a decent education. Many rural children have to board at schools for weeks at a time including throughout very cold winters. Boarding facilities do not include bedding or mattresses which is where Wuxun step in. As well as providing dormitory and classroom equipment, Wuxun focuses on the quality of teaching. Rural teachers usually receive less than 2,000 RMB per month and it is hard to retain teachers who will enable the children to gain the sort of education which could lead to meaningful employment or university entrance. Therefore Wuxun works with city schools to provide training programs for rural teachers in basic teaching methods. Wuxun also provides opportunities for rural children aged 13-16 to experience city life for three days at a time to broaden their horizons; on the trips they visit a Science museum and learn about potential careers in the city. Raising the aspirations of the teenagers and improving the quality of the teaching is the best way to break the cycle of poverty in which many rural children find themselves.
Last year the money raised went to:
- Pay for the accommodation for 16 rural children to visit Shanghai for an education trip (April 2013)
- Pay for the training of 90 rural headmasters from Yunnan in Beijing (August 2013)
- Provide the first football pitch for a rural school in Shandong
This year the money will go to:
- Extend the children’s outreach program to include Xi’an and Western China
- Extend the Headmaster training project to include more Provinces
- Extend the equipment program to provide more schools with better sports facilities